Chicken Tortilla Soup and Homemade Cornbread

A few weeks ago, I victoriously cooked a whole chicken.  I threw a few bags of chicken in the freezer to use on some future recipes. 
 

I made BBQ Chicken Pizza a couple times. 

And then I used two of the ziploc bags of chicken and about 2 cups of chicken broth from that chicken for Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup.
(Next time I hope to use my new organic dry beans! This soup was made with canned beans)


I also just placed an order for more free-range $15.00 chickens from our local farmer!  The experiment of making a $15.00 chicken stretch over many meals worked!!  I still have a bag of shredded chicken in the freezer and chicken broth a'plenty!

 

I made this delicious cornbread to go with our soup.  A few months ago, I purchased a $3.00 bag of fresh roasted cornmeal from my farmer Carol.  I have used it sparingly but it just keeps going and going and going!! 
Homesteader Cornbread (adapted from this recipe)
Ingredients
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cups raw milk
1 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tbsp and 2 tsp raw honey
1/4 cup rapadura sugar (or a little less)
1 egg
1/2 cup coconut oil
8 oz frozen corn (thawed and drained)

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). In a small bowl, combine cornmeal and milk; let stand for 5 minutes. Grease an 8x8 inch baking pan. 
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix in the cornmeal mixture, eggs and oil until smooth.  Add corn and stir. Pour batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.

I was so excited to pull out our fresh cream butter from our farmer.  It just makes everything...special :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...