This mother professes her love of Migas


I was telling Jason that this felt like my very first Mother's Day.  When my mom was alive, we always spent our time focusing on her for mother's day.  Whether or not I was a mom as well didn't matter.  While my mom was here, I spent my time spoiling my own mother on Mother's Day!

This year was quite an adjustment so I spent the day just soaking it all in.


And celebrating it in its entirety - complete with family, wine, cheesecake, and some beautiful weather.

Leo, Liam, Elena & Audrey


Audrey & Roman

I slept in, enjoyed the fanciest homemade french toast courtesy of my wonderful husband and even got this awesome piece of kitchen equipment:

This, my friends, is my new tortilla press.  

Gone are the days of rolling out each darn tortilla with my hunky rolling pin!  Gone are the days of screaming at Jason to help me since I forgot to roll out each tortilla before I heated the pan!  Gone are the days of watching my kids and husband feast while I roll out tortillas just quickly enough to eat them!

Okay all of that is a lie.  It only happened twice.  But it was enough work to make me serve large pieces of lettuce instead of tortillas at the next meal.  I think Jason was a wee bit disappointed...
Quinoa Avocado Tacos courtesy of Foodbabe.com
But there is a deeper reason behind the tortilla press.  Our complete obsession with Migas.  After we were married, Jason made Migas one lazy Sunday morning.  They were amaaaaaazing.  He didn't really make them that often but when he did, we always talked about how magical and delicious they are.  Recently, he made them for lunch 2 days in a row.  I found myself dreaming of the next time we would get our Migas fix.  In the last week, I have eaten Migas 6 times.  No joke.

I. Love. Migas.  Period.  Haven't heard of them?  You can check out Pioneer Woman Migas or Homesick Texan Migas for some great recipes.


I made my own super easy migas with only a few ingredients and almost no prep time.  The problem is that Jason bought a small bag of corn tortillas from the store that are definitely a 100% genetically modified corn product (or "frankefood").  I haven't found a good source for organic corn tortillas or tortilla chips that aren't outrageously expensive.  So I have decided to try my hand at homemade corn tortillas to feed our love of tortilla chips and Migas.  (Homemade corn tortillas instructions.)  I will let you know how they turn out.  In the meantime, make a plate of Migas.




My super easy Migas:
2 Tbsp Expeller-Pressed Coconut Oil
4 Organic Corn Tortillas (or homemade corn tortillas)
6 eggs
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheese
1/4 tsp "Real" Salt

Cut or rip corn tortillas into bite size pieces.  Heat 2 tablespoons expeller-pressed coconut oil on med high.  When the oil is hot, add the tortillas and sprinkle the salt on top.  Cook the tortillas until they start to crisp up.  In a bowl, mix the eggs and the salsa together.  Add the mixture to the crispy tortillas.  Just when the eggs are cooked through, add the shredded cheese, give it a quick stir and serve!  They are even good when you are cleaning up breakfast and Elena missed a few bites.  Mmmm....Migas....

Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely ladies out there!

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of them, but they look amazing. How about you cook breakfast for us in August? We'll bring mimosas!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...