This ain't your mom's Chia...


Credit

I have built a sort of online friend group.  We only communicate in blogs and comments.  This limited interaction means I have to stay on top of things in order to keep my membership.  We bloggers rule the internet and it is important to keep a position of power.

Which is why when I saw Grace touting the benefits of Chia Seeds, I happily read her blogposts and moved on with my life.  But then when Cari got in on the action too, I started to feel a little left out.  Then Grace's friend Emily started in on it and I immediately grabbed my purse and headed out to the store for some dang seeds.  (I'm the 5th of 6 children - I have a real Jan complex about not being included in things.)


I started my journey to healthier eating about a year ago and now I have compiled all kinds of foods that I don't know how to use.  As "luck" would have it, I looked up a recipe for coconut sap sugar the other day and found this Chia Pudding recipe that I thought I could whip up.

Doesn't it look appetizing??


Well - We all know I'm no photographer, but even if I were, it would be hard to make this look appetizing...



So, this morning, I woke up, poured my gelatinous gloup into a bowl with a sliced banana and...did my best.  I consumed as much of the Aztec Superfood as humanly possible.  While I tried my best to swallow what could best be described as flavored egg white goo, I pictured clean kitchens, folded laundry, happy smiley children, and a 30 lb weight loss (have YOU ever seen a fat Aztec???).  (Photo credit)
I was eating so slowly.  The kids saw a brown substance in the bowl.  They're no dummies.  Brown=Chocolate in this house.  They quickly converged on me like flies to a light.

Neither of them had any problem swallowing the brown jelly.

And my thoughts were, "Great, now I can test the Power of the Chia by measuring the change in energy in my children."

(Half of the members of this video are under the Chia Spell...)



Uhhhh.......it worked......




I saw it working on the children almost instantly.  I was still skeptical though.  Note that the angle of the photos and video taken are from the comfort of my couch where I washed down the Chia turding with my daily cup of coffee.  I doubted it was really the Chia and blamed it on just high energy kids.  But now I was really testing fate by combining coffee and Chia.

Seriously though - the stuff is amazing!!!!

My floor was picked up, I liked my kids all day, my kitchen stayed neatish, and I even played Susie Homemaker and whipped this up for lunch:


Carrot Raisin Spelt Berry Salad

I am now a Chia believer.  This was the first day in a while that I didn't just breastfeed and unwither my flax crops in Castleville.  But I might have to come up with some different ways to enjoy the stuff.  I think Grace is getting paid by the Aztecs to sell dime bags of Chia so they can take this stuff off the shelf soon.  You better get some before she goes all Marlo on us...

I'm kind of looking forward to a big heaping bowl of brown goo tomorrow morning.

10 comments:

  1. Dying.

    I'm glad you're drinking the cool-aid. Ahem the gelatinous gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHA!! Day 2 is just as energy-filled as day 1. But I really can't stomach this gel-pudding. I'm going to try the snickers recipe though!

      Delete
  2. Dime bags. omg. Ps love how into Fox News Leo is...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all the cute young news broadcasters that captivate him ;)

      Delete
  3. I put Chia seeds in "energy balls" that are made with almond butter and oats . . . love em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had almond butter but I have a good source to buy it from. I'm going to go throw it onto my online order! Can you share your recipe so I can try them out?!

      Delete
  4. I'm not totally convinced yet, but after you're use of the word "turding", I may have peed myself for real. Popped over from Grace's Chia Indoctrination Camp...er..blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I might lose a couple readers after using that word. But then I thought that if you don't think that word is funny, we clearly can't be friends anyway!!! :)

      Delete
  5. Ugh, yet another hilarious post that is making me feel just as left out, I totally have your Jan complex- 5th of 8 kids. I need to get on this train, but as I gag at the thought of decent tasting food currently, I am just not sure I will be able to force it down the old gullet til the second trimester. I guess that gives me enough time to drag myself to the store. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So funny. I was intrigued by the seeds after I read Cari's post, but now I'm going to have to add chia seeds to our shopping list for real. I could use me some energy around here.

    Is the consistency at all similar to tapioca?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...