Pumpkin Waffles & Whoopie Pies

I absolutely love fall baking.  I can really get into it when I can open my small kitchen window and the cool air comes whipping at me.  Sometimes, when the birds in our backyard chirp loud enough and the creek water is at a dull roar, I can pretend like the kids aren't even there and it's just me and my baked goods.  

Not usually though...


Last week, I baked 4 pie pumpkins and saved the meat until I found a recipe "worthy" to try this year.  I had some really good recipes from last year which I plan on making again soon (especially this pumpkin bread recipe!), but I like to try new ones too.  

Then my friend Steve posted "Apple Cider Donuts?" on Facebook and my brain nearly exploded!  What is THAT?  And why isn't there one in my mouth right NOW?!?!?!  I can't make donuts because I hate frying stuff in my house.  So I set out to make this recipe with the apple cider I recently made and the pumpkin combined: 

Pumpkin Waffles with Apple Cider Syrup 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup pumpkin
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  •  
  • Apple Cider Syrup
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup apple cider
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Directions

  1. Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions.
  2. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, stir together the pumpkin, milk, and egg yolks. Whip the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form.
  3. Stir the flour mixture and 1/4 cup melted butter to the pumpkin mixture, stirring just to combine. Use a whisk or rubber spatula to fold 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, stirring gently until incorporated. Fold in the remaining egg whites. Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.
  4. To make the syrup, stir together the sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon in a saucepan. Stir in the apple cider and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil; boil until the syrup thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the 2 tablespoons of butter until melted. Serve warm.


This was an extremely late breakfast.  I needed coffee before I tackled this one.  So I poured my second cup and called out to my "helpers".


We're still working on sharing around here.  I'll let you know when it's under control...


The cider syrup was super easy.  I actually might make it again to have with plain waffles due to its deliciousness.


The waffle mix was a little more work.  Many reviews stated that the waffles were too dense.  So I made sure to whip the egg whites until soft peaks formed and then ever-so-gently I folded them into the batter.  I  left a lot of egg white floating in the mixture to make sure it didn't fall and get too dense.  And I was careful scooping so I didn't stir the mixture more and get flat waffles.


This stuff made my house smell like HEAVEN!!!


Elena wanted desperately to help me cook the waffles.  The closest she got to the waffle maker and stovetop was a chair stuck smack-dab in the center of the kitchen where her tiny dinosaur arms were safely out of reach of everything.


Even her baby came up to see what that delicious smell was!!


Elena was all over this breakfast.  Leo?  He's a picky eater and wanted a waffle with plain syrup.  He crushes my cooking ego daily.


But then Jason came to the rescue by jumping up for seconds as soon as the next waffle was ready :)


We have exactly enough leftover for breakfast tomorrow...if I can hold off that long...

We also tried out another new recipe 

Pumpkin Whoopie Pie 


Ingredients

  • Cookie
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil (or softened butter)
  • 1 1/2 cups solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 tablespoon ground cloves

  • Filling
    • 1 8 oz package cream cheese (softened)
    • 2 tablespoons butter (softened)
    • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 4 cups powdered sugar

  • Directions
      1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
      2. Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin and eggs, beating well. Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and cloves. Mix well.
      3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.
      4. To Make Whoopie Pie Filling: Beat cream cheese and butter until smooth.  Add cinnamon and vanilla and combine.  Add powdered sugar one cup at a time.

Now, before I give my verdict, I have to state that there is something wrong with me this pregnancy.  Sweets just don't cut it.  Nothing tastes right.  Sweets have odd flavors that are unfamiliar.  This definitely didn't happen with either of the other two pregnancies.  And unfortunately, it's not stopping me from consuming sweets...  These aren't floating my boat right now.  They are just so sweet!  But it was a good day to be at Jason's office since I sent him with a bunch.  Jason absolutely loves them!

And the kids?  Well - they like the cookies so much their eyes have rolled in the backs of their heads...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...