Chocolate Lava Cookies

Since the beginning of my pregnancy, I have been quietly craving a molten chocolate lava cake.  I don't know what restaurant sells them but since Jason and I never eat out, I just don't see it in my future.  Then, I found a recipe for Magic in the Middle Cookies from bouffe e bambini and bookmarked it for a rainy day.

These cookies are AAAAMAZING!!  We were invited to dinner last week so I decided to make something really fun with my raw heavy cream.


I made it exactly as she suggested but in the end, I had 4 times the amount of fudge center I needed.  So, I have cut the quantities down and reposted her recipe here.  

Magic in the Middle Cookies

The Filling
  • 1 tbsp granulated sugar
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
  • pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • 1/3 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1-2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
Whisk together sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan.  Combine cream, milk, and vanilla in a liquid measuring cup.

Pour 1/2 cup cream mixture into sugar mixture, and whisk until cornstarch is dissolved.  Add remaining cream mixture, and whisk until smooth.  Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and cook until thick, about 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to low, and add chocolate.  Whisk until chocolate melts, about 1 minute.  Now let it cool and place it in the freezer until fairly cold and hard.


Chocolate Dough
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg plus 1 large egg yolk

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Lightly grease (or line with unbleached parchment paper) two baking sheets.
To make the dough: In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  In a large bowl, beat together the sugars, butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and egg, beating to combine, then stir in the dry ingredients, blending well.

To make the cookies, take about 2 tablespoons of dough and form a ball.  Push a dent in the middle with your finger and fill with 1 teaspoon of fudge.  Form the cookie around the fudge and flatten just slightly.  (The cookies will keep most of their shape in the oven on parchment.)

Resist the urge to fill with too much fudge or it will leak out when you bake them.  

Bake at 375 for 10 minutes.  Dust with powdered sugar when they come out!!


We left the extras at the dinner party that night and I saw on Facebook that our pregnant host was digging into them for breakfast!!  I couldn't blame her!!  I made another batch that night just because I had so much leftover fudge and had them for breakfast the following morning too ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...