Homemade detergent report

A couple weeks ago, I posted about how I made my own laundry detergent.  I wanted to give the detergent a couple weeks to "work" so that I gave an accurate review.

Verdict is in: I love it :)

I had to do some adjustments to my laundry though.  I tried to do some research online but no one had a specific list of how they do their laundry and why it is a success or failure!  So I just ran my own report.  I didn't feel confident that the detergent was cleaning our whites/underwear/bedding.  So, I do the whites on a hot wash and might throw in some bleach (not a lot, 1/2 cup maybe?). 

All the other laundry is done on cold.  I use only 1/2 cup of my detergent per load.  I put some of the detergent in a gallon milk jug and I just shake it a bit before I pour.  All of my laundry is 100% clean!!  They smell clean and fresh too.

I also use this detergent for our cloth diapers and I am ecstatic that it actually works!

UPDATE - I wrote this post too early.  Apparently, I still have the smelliest kids on the block.  I immediately took all the diapers and rewashed them in Kirklands detergent.  If anyone has the trick to washing cloth diapers in homemade detergent, please let me know!!!!  They shouldn't smell worse after you get them out of the washer. 

A few weeks ago, I switched detergents and Elena got a horrible rash.  It took a month of clearing the rash, trying a diaper, cursing when the blasted rash reappeared, and trying to clear it again so the poor girl could get back to normal. 


That was my original motivation to try this detergent.  First I stripped the diapers by running them through 6 washes in the machine on hot.  I also added about a cup of vinegar to the last two washes.  After the first couple washes with the new detergent, I wasn't 100% confident it was working because the diapers would smell after I put them in their diaper (within an hour or so).  I don't want my kids to be the "smelly" kids. 


So, I tried a new plan.  First wash cold with less than 1/8 cup detergent.  Then wash hot with 2nd rinse with less than 1/8 cup detergent and 1/2 cup vinegar in the fabric softener slot.  SUCCESS!!


So far I am extremely happy with the results.  No rashes, no smell and very clean diapers!  If you are looking to save a dime here and there, give it a go!!  And if you have any questions, ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...